Monday, April 18, 2005

Post before I forget

I'm going to write down/list everything I can about the day while its still fresh in my head.
In a couple of days when its all sunken in I'll post again to reflect on it all.
So here goes......

Before the race.
1) Restless nights sleep, as expected.
2) Up at 05:30 feeling pretty good and ready for it.
3) 05:55 spend 5mins scraping ice of the car, go back in the house to round up hat, gloves and anything else I might need for a cold run.
4) Drive to Staines, catch the 06:37 train to Waterloo. Already meeting up with other runners.
5) Walk to Waterloo east to catch train to Blackheath blue start - runners everywhere - arrive about 08:00.
6) Blackheath fills up very quickly, massive queues for toilets, free tea and coffee's a nice touch. Glorious sitting in the sun, on the grass relaxing with a cup of tea.
7) Change into running gear - no hat or gloves needed - load bag on lorry.
8) Go to pen 8 at about 09:20, sit down waiting to start.
9) When the hooter goes we're so far from the front I don't even hear it.
10) Start walking to line, after 10mins stop for another wee.
11) Cross the line after about 15mins or so.

The Race
1) Set of at a steady jog, crowds fantastic.
2) Cross the 5m at just under 55mins - everything going according to plan
3) Decide to walk for 2mins at 7m still feeling good - crowd amazing
4) Cross tower bridge on target time
5) 14m.....oh dear, feel very sick, light headed and dizzy, cold and clammy. Start to walk, other runners start to ask if I'm OK (must have looked like shit). Wash myself with water and walk for awhile then start gently jogging again.
6) 15m, back into the swing of things, feeling not to bad. Can't work out what pace I'm doing so forget about it and just plod on, soaking up the atmosphere.
7) 16m, only 10m to go registers very distinctly in my head, I feel happy and comfortable that I'll finish.
8) 20m, in my key pocket I have 6 joosters for the last 6 mile posts. The first one tastes great.
9) Last 6 miles, crowd support still amazing me - I wrote Andy on the front of my vest and the 'personalised' cheers are really great. Somewhere in the last few miles there was a couple of long tunnels, no crowds, so I walk through them.
10) 3 or 4m to go, still feeling ok but tired. Pass Tony Cottee who's wearing a West Ham top, as a life long West Ham fan he's always been an idol of mine.
11) Last 2m my legs are really tired now and my knees are getting sore but - I know I should break 5hrs, I haven't hit 'the wall', and I'm really enjoying the experience and trying to take in as much as I can.
12) Cross the line, smile and wave for the photo, stop my watch at 4:56.

After
1) Tag on shoe is removed, all the helpers are smiling, happy and supportive. Collect medal, then have a photo taken wearing it.
2) Retrieve bag, then get stuck in a big hold up to get away to the changing area. While I'm waiting I eat everything I can get my hands on.
3) Once changed I try to get back to Waterloo. Decided to walk rather than Tube, which gives me a chance to watch others finishing, and gently keep my legs moving. A long walk as it turned out as you couldn't cross the course to get to Westminister bridge. Loads of runners working and struggling along the last few miles, I stopped and supported several times.
4) Snooze on the train. A quick chat to a few other runners at Staines stn, and then drive back to Camberley arriving home just after 18:00.
5) Greeted at the door by my daughter and training partner who has watched every second of the race coverage on TV.


Finished. Free medal and free sun tan. Posted by Hello

Back Down to earth
1) Have to ground my boy (aged 7) for a week for swearing at his sister.
2) Its Sunday and school tomorrow, so I have to wait in a queue for the bath.
3) Sun burnt agony on my back and shoulders
4) Work tomorrow - if I can walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home